With both Passover and Easter coming up this weekend, I’m sure everyone is busy planning menus and prepping for lots of time spent with family and friends. I’ll be celebrating Easter and since I always love a craft project the family can do together, Dyeing Easter eggs has always been a favorite family activity. Today I’m busy getting our crafting supplies in order.
I happened upon this easy tutorial and am intrigued by the Homemade Dyes D.I.Y. in this post from AllRecipes.com:
To make your own natural dyes, boil common ingredients in water with a tablespoon of vinegar until the desired shade is reached. Strain to remove solids.
- Yellow: Yellow onion skins, ground turmeric
- Orange: Same as yellow, with added beet juice
- Pink: Cranberry juice concentrate
- Red: Beets, paprika
- Blue: Canned blueberries, red cabbage, grape juice concentrate
- Green: Spinach and/or kale
- Brown: Strong brewed coffee or tea
Many of these can be made with ingredients we have laying around in the pantry, so I think we’ll give some of these colors a whirl. How will you be celebrating your respective holidays this weekend?